These simple eggless ice cream popsicles flavored with cardamom and pistachios are a delicious treat for a hot summer day.
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy here.
Cardamom is one of my favorite spices because of its unique flavor and ability to work equally well in savory and sweet dishes. These cardamom pistachio popsicles are inspired by a recipe for malai kulfi from an Indian cooking class I took (the same class where I learned how to make Tikka Masala with Sauteed Onions). Malai kulfi is a creamy Indian frozen dessert that really showcases cardamom’s ability to work with sweet flavors. The lightly spiced creamy popsicle with nutty pistachio texture is the perfect summer treat.
The recipe calls for three different types of milk: whole milk, sweetened condensed milk, and dry milk powder. The result is a rich, creamy and super simple dessert. You’ll start by adding the milk to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Then add the sugar and cardamom and simmer over low heat for about fifteen minutes. Make sure to stir frequently so the milk doesn’t burn to the bottom of your saucepan. Burned milk is so hard to clean up! Then you’ll take off of the heat and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
Finally you’ll add the chopped pistachios and pour into popsicle molds. You have options with popsicle molds, you can use simple reusable molds like these or you can jerry-rig your own using Dixie cups and popsicle sticks like I did. The hardest part with the DIY approach is getting the popsicle sticks to stand up straight – it was a two person job that required tape and extra popsicle sticks for me, and as you can see from my pictures, the popsicle sticks still aren’t very straight. The good thing is that the popsicles will still taste great even if they look crooked.
Leave a comment and review below if you try this to let me know what you think!
Pistachio Cardamom Popsicles
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachio nuts
- Add the milk, sweetened condensed milk, and dry milk powder to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the sugar and cardamom to the boiling milk and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 15 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add the pistachio nuts to the mixture and pour into popsicle molds or dixie cups with popsicle sticks.
- Freeze until solid.