Easy, homemade double chocolate ice cream – no ice cream maker required!
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy here.
Who doesn’t love ice cream? I’ve been a fan since I was little, but my flavor preferences have definitely changed over the years. When I was two my grandpa took me to the store and let me pick out any ice cream flavor I wanted. I chose a gallon of bubble gum flavored ice cream. My mom still tells me about how awful it was. Apparently, my chocolate-loving grandpa said that chocolate sauce can disguise bad ice cream, but this was beyond saving.
Now I gravitate toward flavors like chocolate and caramel. But I’d never tried making ice cream at home. I always thought I would need special equipment, like an ice cream maker or an attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer. Then I discovered no-churn ice cream…
It sounds too good to be true – homemade ice cream without an ice cream maker? Impossible! There’s no way it could work. But it does work! And it’s so good! And so easy!
How to Make Double Chocolate No-Churn Ice Cream
No-churn ice cream is unbelievably simple. The hardest part of the recipe is waiting for the ice cream to fully freeze before digging in. All you need to do is:
1) Whip cream to stiff peaks
2) Mix in sweetened condensed milk and any toppings or flavorings you want
For the double chocolate version, you’ll use melted semisweet chocolate, cocoa powder and a touch of espresso powder to bring out the rich chocolate flavor. If you’re averse to coffee, it’s ok to skip the espresso powder. I’ve also added peppermint extract before to make this a double chocolate mint ice cream – so good!
Start by whipping the cream. You’ll know the cream is ready when the peaks hold firm. Then mix the chocolate mixture with the sweetened condensed milk and one tablespoon cream and gently fold it into the whipped cream with a spatula. Spoon into a cake or loaf pan and freeze for four hours.
Allow to soften for a minute or two before serving. Enjoy on its own, or as an ice cream sundae with homemade caramel sauce, whipped cream, and maybe even some sprinkles.
You don’t need much to make this ice cream. Any stand mixer or hand mixer will work. I’ve had a Kitchen Aid mixer for years and it still mixes up even the toughest of batters. If you’re good with a whisk, you could even make this without a mixer. A proper ice cream scoop will help you get nice round scoops.
If you try this recipe for easy double chocolate no-churn ice cream, leave a comment and review below and let me know how you liked it.
Double Chocolate No-Churn Ice Cream
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder optional
- 7 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream plus 1 Tablespoon divided
- Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add in the cocoa powder, espresso powder (if using), sweetened condensed milk, and 1 tablespoon of whipping cream. Mix together and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Whip the remaining cream until stiff peaks form.
- Drizzle in the chocolate mixture and fold until well combined.
- Move to a round metal cake pan or loaf pan (metal will freeze more quickly, but you can use a different pan if you want).
- Freeze for at least four hours.