Sweet mango with sauteed onions and bell peppers, hearty black beans, and quinoa flavored with lime and cumin. Equally delicious served warm or chilled.
When I lived in Nanjing, China I could easily get amazing, fresh Asian ingredients in markets and produce stands, seemingly on every block. I miss the freshness of ingredients and the ease of walking past a produce stand on my way home from work and picking up a few things for dinner.
I cooked a lot of Chinese meals and fusion meals using Chinese ingredients in Nanjing, but sometimes I craved more Western style foods. One of the things that I often craved was quinoa, which I never found in my local Nanjing stores. The first time I went home to the US after a year in China I stocked up on quinoa and other ingredients and brought them back to Nanjing in a big heavy suitcase. One of my favorite recipes merging local ingredients (amazing, fresh mangoes) and food from home (quinoa) is this mango black bean quinoa salad. It was a perfect light meal for hot, humid summer days in Nanjing, and a great side dish for a potluck.
How to Make Mango Quinoa Salad
You’ll start by cooking the quinoa. Quinoa has a high protein content and a sweet nutty flavor. I don’t love eating it plain, but it’s lovely mixed with the right ingredients. While the quinoa is cooking, saute a diced onion and a bell pepper. Add the quinoa, onion, and bell pepper to a bowl with a can of black beans, cumin, lime juice, and salt. Mix well.
Then cut up two mangoes. I’ve been eating mangoes since I was small. The way I learned to cut a mango was to first cut off the sides, directly on either side of the center seed.
If you try this recipe for mango quinoa salad, leave a comment and review below and let me know what you think!
Mango Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 15 oz can black beans rinsed
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe mangos or about 1 1/2 to 2 cups presliced
- 1 green onion optional
- Start by cooking your quinoa in a rice cooker using 2 cups water or follow package directions to cook on the stove.
- Then dice the onion and bell pepper. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil, and saute the onion for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the bell pepper and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the cooked quinoa, onion, and bell pepper to a large bowl with the cumin, lime juice and salt. Mix well.
- Cut up your mangos into chunks (see step by step instructions above if you're not familiar with cutting mangos).
- Add the mango to the bowl and mix in gently.
- If using the green onion, slice thinly.
- Serve the mixture warm or chilled with the green onion sprinkled over the top.