Smooth, creamy mushroom gravy packed with flavor and perfect for mashed potatoes or turkey. This gravy can even be made a few days in advance! Vegetarian with options to make it vegan or gluten-free.
A few years ago we hosted my parents and grandfather in Nashville for Thanksgiving. I put together a menu of vegetarian sides, mains, and desserts (my mom cooked a turkey). One of the Thanksgiving menu essentials, whether you eat turkey or not, is the gravy, so I wanted to come up with a vegetarian gravy that was flavorful enough for everyone to enjoy.
In this gravy, I’ve combined fragrant onions with sauteed mushrooms, thyme, and milk along with veggie broth and soy sauce for a flavor and umami boost. You can serve this as chunky gravy or use a blender to make this smooth. It’s perfect on turkey, mashed potatoes, Swedish meatballs, or anything else that requires a rich, creamy, flavorful sauce. See the notes at the end of the recipe on how to make this gluten-free, vegan, or even how to make this a few days ahead. Enjoy!
How to Make Vegetarian Mushroom Gravy
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy here.
To make this gravy, start by sauteeing onions, mushrooms, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet with butter (or margarine to make this vegan). For the mushrooms you can use any variety – shiitake mushrooms are extremely flavorful but can be expensive, so I’ve substituted with white button or portabella mushrooms before.
When the onions and mushrooms are softened, add the remaining butter. Then stir in some flour – all-purpose or gluten-free rice flour work equally well. Stir until the mushrooms and onions are coated in flour, then gradually pour in the milk, stirring well. Use your favorite plain nondairy milk to make this vegan. Add the remaining ingredients: vegetable bouillon (I used the Better than Bouillon brand), thyme, and soy sauce or tamari (for a gluten-free gravy).
Stir until it comes to a simmer and cook for about three minutes until the milk has thickened. Then blend using a blender or an immersion blender (my favorite method) and serve. Or skip the blending for a chunkier mushroom gravy. You can make this gravy a few days ahead of the meal. Just store in a sealed container and heat for a few minutes over low heat in a small saucepan when ready to serve.
Looking for more recipes perfect for Thanksgiving? Try this Butternut Squash Lasagna or Instant Pot Mac and Cheese. For sweet options, check out these Mini Caramel Apple Cheesecakes, Instant Pot Pumpkin Cheesecake, or Pumpkin Cream Puffs. If you try this vegetarian mushroom gravy recipe, leave a comment and review below and let me know how it worked out for you!
Vegetarian Mushroom Gravy
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine (divided)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 8 oz mushrooms (finely chopped, use shiitake, white button, or portabella)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons flour (use rice flour or all-purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 cups milk of choice
- 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon (I used Better than Bouillon)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (tamari for gluten-free)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for about 4 more minutes.
- Add the remaining butter. When melted, add in the flour and stir in until the onion and mushrooms are well coated.
- Add the milk gradually, stirring in well.
- Then mix in the bouillon, thyme, and soy sauce. Bring to gentle simmer and cook for about 3 minutes until thickened. Add salt to taste.
- If you want chunky gravy, then you’re done. If you’d prefer creamy gravy, then pour the gravy mixture into a blender or into a container to use with your immersion blender (if using a regular blender, make sure to allow the gravy to cool before blending for safety). Blend for a minute or so until the desired consistency. Then serve.
MMM Love mushroom gravy!!! This looks amazing
I love mushroom gravy! Looks so delicious and perfect for Thanksgiving dinner!
I’ve never made mushroom gravy before but love mushroom sauces. Will have to give this a try!
Mushroom gravy is one of my favorites and this sure looks satisfying! Would be great on a meatless veggie loaf! 🙂
What a great recipe! I know my whole family will love this and I can’t wait to give it a try!
Now this sounds like my kind of gravy -I love mushrooms so love the sound of this!
This mushroom gravy sounds delicious. Would be really good on some crispy roast potatoes.
Now I’m craving crispy roast potatoes… this mushroom gravy would be perfect with your potatoes!
Oh YUM!!! I love mushrooms and gravy so this recipe is right up my alley. Thank-you for sharing, I will make it for Christmas.