An easy, make-ahead breakfast casserole with asparagus and mushrooms layered with sourdough bread, eggs, and creamy goat cheese.
This strata is one of my favorite make-ahead breakfast recipes. It’s perfect for a weekday breakfast or a weekend brunch! I love to make this when I have visitors as I can throw it together in the evening and then bake in the morning.
What is a Strata?
A strata is a layered casserole dish. In this version, layers of sourdough bread, asparagus and mushrooms, and goat cheese are covered by a delicious egg mixture and more goat cheese. It’s like a savory bread pudding, great for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner!
How to Make Asparagus Mushroom Strata
You’ll start out by sauteeing an onion, mushrooms, and asparagus. In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, and parsley.
Then layer it together. Start by putting half of the bread in a lightly greased pan (I just use cooking spray). Then layer half of the asparagus and mushroom mixture on top of that. Then sprinkle on half of the goat cheese crumbles. Repeat with the rest of the bread, then the rest of the veggie mixture.
Gently pour the egg mixture evenly over the top, sprinkle with the remaining goat cheese, and refrigerate overnight. Bake for about 45 minutes in the morning before serving.
This recipe makes 4 servings in an 8″ x 8″ pan. You can easily double and use a 9″ x 13″ pan.
Looking for more breakfast recipes? Try these easy pancakes with blueberry sauce. Another family favorite is this German pancake with buttermilk syrup. Or for a savory option, try this Instant Pot mushroom frittata.
If you try this recipe for asparagus mushroom strata, leave a comment and review below and let me know what you think!
Asparagus Mushroom Strata
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 oz portobello or white button mushrooms
- 1/2 pound asparagus cleaned and trimmed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 3 cups cubed sourdough bread
- 4 oz goat cheese crumbled
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and onion and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes, and finally the asparagus, garlic, and salt and cook for another 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, and parsley.
- Lightly grease an 8″ x 8″ pan (if doubling the recipe, use 9″ x 13″). Add half of the bread to the bottom of the pan. Top with half of the asparagus & mushroom mixture and then half of the goat cheese. Repeat with remaining bread and veggie mixture. Then pour the egg mixture evenly over the top and add the remaining goat cheese.
- Cover in foil and refrigerate overnight (or at least an hour).
- When ready to bake, remove the casserole dish from the fridge, take the foil off, and preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake until firm in the center and golden brown on the top, about 45 minutes. Allow to set for about 10 minutes before serving.
I love how easy and decadent this is and I always need reliable asparagus recipes. This one is getting pinned and bookmarked! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Sadly the asparagus season is over here in Germany, but I’ll bookmark your tasty vegetarian recipe for next year. Can’t wait to try it:)
This strata would be so perfect for a Sunday brunch!
This strata looks so delicious! I love asparagus and mushrooms paired together and this would be awesome at my next brunch! I can’t wait to try it!
I love breakfast casseroles and this one has so many of my favourite ingredients! I’m a big goat cheese fan and adore asparagus! Def one for me to try!