Creamy tofu cubes served with a sweet and spicy peanut sauce. Serve with rice and broccoli for a quick vegan weeknight dinner.
I love starting the week off right by spending Sunday meal prepping. By meal prep, I mean that I make three or four meals on Sunday afternoon and portion them out so my husband and I have leftovers to eat for lunch and dinner throughout the week.
Since I generally make four to six servings of each meal for just the two of us, the food can sometimes get repetitive by the end of the week. Not so with this tofu with peanut sauce! This is one of those dishes that I could eat twice a day for days on end and still look forward to it. My favorite way to serve it is with rice and broccoli. The peanut sauce is so good that you could eat it on its own, or use it to top countless other dishes. I hope you enjoy my favorite tofu dish!
How to Make Tofu with Peanut Sauce
This post contains affiliate links. When you buy through these links, it helps me to continue creating recipes. See my disclosure policy.
Start by preheating the oven and cutting up extra firm tofu in cubes. Spread the tofu out in a single layer on nonstick baking sheet. If you don’t have a nonstick baking sheet, use a regular baking sheet, cover in foil, and spray with cooking spray.
While the tofu is baking, make the peanut sauce. Mix together sesame oil, soy sauce, peanut butter, and brown sugar in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for about 30 seconds in the microwave, stir, and then microwave for 30 more seconds. By this point, it should be relatively easy to mix together with a fork. Add in a few teaspoons of sambal oelek (skip if you don’t like any spice).
When the tofu is done, remove from the oven. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Then add the tofu and half of the peanut sauce. Cook until the tofu is crispy and golden brown. Serve the tofu over rice with the remaining peanut sauce drizzled on top. I love serving with steamed broccoli on the side.
Looking for more tofu recipes? Try this tofu tikka masala or tofu bibimbap. If you try this recipe for tofu with peanut sauce, leave a comment and review below and let me know how it worked out for you!
Tofu with Peanut Sauce
- 1 block extra firm tofu (14-15 oz, drained)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Rice for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cube tofu and place in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet and cook for 25 minutes. If you aren’t using a nonstick baking sheet, cover with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- While the tofu is baking, prepare the sauce by mixing together the sesame oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, and peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 30 seconds, stir, then microwave for 30 seconds more. By this point, it should be pretty easy to stir together with a fork. Add in the sambal oelek and mix until well combined.
- When the tofu is done, remove from oven. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil, tofu, and half of the peanut sauce. Cook until the tofu is crispy and golden brown.
- Serve the tofu over rice and drizzle the remaining peanut sauce on top.