These zucchini muffins are moist, tasty, and flavorful with a simple sweet and tart lemon glaze. A great way to use up fresh zucchini!
Zucchini is one of my favorite garden crops. They’re relatively easy to grow and homegrown zucchini is so much better than the tiny ones in the grocery store. The only problem with zucchini is that when they’re ready to pick, they’re ALL ready to pick, so I often end up with a lot at once.
This recipe is a great way to use up an abundance of zucchini from the garden but also works well with grocery store zucchini. The muffins are so easy to put together and great for breakfast or snacks. The lemon glaze takes them over the top with a lovely sweet/tart combination.
How to Make Zucchini Muffins with Lemon Glaze
To make the muffins, you’ll start by beating some eggs lightly with a fork. Add melted butter and grated zucchini to the bowl along with sugar, and vanilla.
Then add the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. I use a mix of all-purpose and whole wheat flour. Feel free to play around with the spices. Nutmeg could be a tasty addition in place of the cloves.
Bake the muffins for about 25 minutes and then allow them to cool. While they’re cooling mix up a simple lemon glaze by combining powdered sugar and lemon juice. If you have fresh lemons, use those, otherwise lemon juice concentrate will work well. Drizzle over the muffins and enjoy!
Looking for more recipes with zucchini? Check out this tomato zucchini pie, one of my summertime favorites. Or these baked zucchini fritters, a great way to use up lots of zucchini! If you try this recipe for zucchini muffins with lemon glaze, leave a comment and a review below and let me know what you think!
Zucchini Muffins with Lemon Glaze
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine to make this vegan
- 3 cups zucchini grated (approximately 2-3 small or 1 large)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or substitute with all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray or use cupcake liners. Place the butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat until the butter is melted.
- In a large bowl add the eggs and beat with a fork, then stir in the zucchini, melted butter, sugar, and vanilla and mix well. Then add the salt, flours, baking soda, and spices and stir until combined.
- Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 full. Bake for about 23-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes. While the muffins are cooling, mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice together in a bowl, and then spoon over the muffins.