A recipe for flavorful and moist zucchini muffins with a simple, tart lemon glaze.
I just picked several large zucchini from my garden, the first crop to come in this year. One of my favorite parts of owning a house is being able to have a vegetable garden. In the middle of winter, I love to browse through seed catalogs and plan out my garden for the summer. After many years of apartment living, I still get excited to plant seedlings in my small container and raised bed garden every year. This year I have three different varieties of zucchini and summer squash in the garden – I keep planting lots of zucchini since homegrown is so much better than the tiny ones at my grocery store, plus they’re super easy to grow!
My first zucchini creation of the year is these zucchini muffins with a lemon glaze. They’re incredibly simple to put together and great for breakfast or snacks. Use margarine instead of butter to make these vegan and still super tasty. Please share your zucchini favorites in the comments section below!
To make the muffins, you’ll start by beating some eggs lightly with a fork. Add melted butter and grated zucchini to the bowl along with sugar, and vanilla. Then you’ll add in the flour – I used a mix of all-purpose and whole wheat, you could also substitute more all-purpose flour for the whole wheat, along with baking soda, salt, and spices. Feel free to substitute whatever spices you like in your muffins, nutmeg could be a tasty addition in place of the cloves. You’ll bake the muffins, allow them to cool, and then add a simple lemon glaze made of powdered sugar and lemon juice. If you have fresh lemons, then juice those, otherwise lemon juice concentrate will work well in its place.
Leave a comment and review below if you try this to let me know what you think!
Zucchini Muffins with Lemon Glaze
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine to make this vegan
- 3 cups zucchini grated (approximately 2-3 small or 1 large)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or substitute with all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray or use cupcake liners. Place the butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat until the butter is melted.
- In a large bowl add the eggs and beat with a fork, then stir in the zucchini, melted butter, sugar, and vanilla and mix well. Then add the salt, flours, baking soda, and spices and stir until combined.
- Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 full. Bake for about 23-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes. While the muffins are cooling, mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice together in a bowl, and then spoon over the muffins.