Flavorful vegetarian chorizo stuffed sweet potatoes: the perfect easy weeknight dinner! Make this vegan by using dairy-free cheese and sour cream.
We have one Trader Joe’s in Nashville. It’s in an area of town that I don’t go to frequently, so whenever I’m there I stock up on my favorite ingredients. One of these is the soy chorizo. I buy 5 at a time and use it in breakfast hash, tacos, and these stuffed sweet potatoes. My husband, a meat eater, even loves this vegetarian alternative. The chorizo is richly spiced, so you don’t need any additional flavoring for a tasty and easy meal! Many other stores now offer soy chorizo, generally in the area near the tofu and other natural foods. You could also substitute regular chorizo if you eat meat.
How to Make Vegetarian Chorizo Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
This post contains affiliate links. When you buy through these links, it helps me to continue creating recipes. See my disclosure policy.
Cook the sweet potatoes using an Instant Pot, microwave, or oven. While the sweet potatoes are cooking, dice the green pepper and onion. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil then the onion. Saute for about 4 minutes then add the bell pepper and cook for another 4 minutes. Add in the vegetarian chorizo (or substitute regular chorizo if desired) and cook following package directions. For the Trader Joe’s soy chorizo you just need to heat it through. Cut the sweet potatoes across the top, stuff with the chorizo mixture and top with cheese and sour cream.
Looking for more vegetarian dinner recipes? Try this Lemon Ricotta Pasta, Vegetarian White Bean Chili, or Instant Pot Enchilada Rice. If you try this recipe for Vegetarian Chorizo Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, leave a comment and review below and let me know how it worked out for you!
Vegetarian Chorizo Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 12 oz vegetarian chorizo (I use Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo)
- Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Cook the sweet potatoes using an Instant Pot, microwave, or oven. See Instant Pot directions here. To bake in the oven preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and pierce the potatoes several times with a fork. Bake for 45-60 minutes until they’re tender when pierced with a fork. To microwave, pierce the skin several times with a fork, place on a microwaveable plate and microwave for 6-10 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, dice the green pepper and onion.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, then the onion. Saute for about 4 minutes, then add the bell pepper and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Add in the vegetarian chorizo (or substitute regular chorizo if desired) and cook following package directions. For the Trader Joe’s soy chorizo I just heat it through, mixing in with the onions and bell pepper.
- Cut the sweet potatoes across the top, stuff with the chorizo mixture and top with cheese and sour cream.
I love potatoes any way you serve them… but this is one of my favorites!!
I’m not vegetarian so I would probably make this another way.. but this is healthier for sure.
Delicious sweet potato whether you are a vegetarian or not! Love the soy chorizo idea on this! Excellent recipe!
This looks and sounds wonderful. My whole family will love these.
I’m sure these have incredible flavor! Look so good.
My husband would love this. I haven’t had vegetarian chorizo yet, but it sounds delicious. I want to incorporate more vegetarian meals into our diets this new year, so this is a great way to start!
Well now I’ve got to give vegetarian chorizo a go! These look to die for!
I love that these are vegetarian! It makes it easy to use the recipe straight away! I have been so into sweet potatoes lately! This is perfect!